Thursday, February 18, 2010

You're so vain. You probably think this post is about you.

And it is. (if i'm talking to Julian, and i am, who fortunately is a total blog stalker)

Julian has gotten so vain lately. He hears how cute he is from everyone and I think it's totally gotten to his head. For example, I put him on his belly and propped up a mirror so he could discover his face and he apparently fell in love which quickly turned into obsession:



He totally snatched it up and laid his face on it, trying to get as close as possible to his own image. I'm pretty sure he was making out with it. I have nicknamed him Narcissus. Actually this picture isn't as funny as what i first saw, which was both of his arms down to the side, face lying flat onto the mirror, body still. Oh man.

Anyway, but who can blame him, what with a face like this?



As a new mother, I've discovered a lot of things, and one of them is this: Apparently I like to dress my child like a homeless person. Maybe it's the city girl in me. I'm just keepin' it real.



& a couple more. sorry for the graininess. the only light was a lamp but i just had to grab some pictures.

especially for this face:





Naked pictures are always a treat, wouldn't you agree?



What's that? You say you'd like four more of these in a collage? You got it.


Sean says he looks like a fat doll, with detachable arms.



Now, we all know about Julian's "suspicious of bears" look. It's his natural face. He can't help it. Very often strangers will say to me "he is suspicious of me" or "he doesn't like me." I tell them, "don't take it personally. He's suspicious of everyone." The funny thing is, clearly he is the cutest smiliest baby ever. He loves to smile. So maybe it just takes a while to earn his trust. As it should be. Good job, baby. Just like a true New Yorker. So i have to put this picture up of him & his grandma. It just makes me laugh.



Don't feel bad, grandma.

It's a funny thing, if by funny I mean "pretty boring for most people." Watching a baby grow from a tiny zombie baby who doesn't know his own body, whose own arms scare him, and who doesn't even know you exist into a giant Chubosaurus Rex who smiles at you, has learned how to control his limbs in some way, and even maneuver the weight of his girth. Again, pretty boring.

But, another interesting* thing about having a baby child, at least for me, is the way it messes up your brain. I live so day-to-day, it is WEIRD. I can't see ahead further than 12 hours and i don't even remember what the word "yesterday" means. It's like i have mega-short term memory and i begin each new day as if i've forgotten everything from the previous day, and i'm starting all over. Because that's exactly what i have to do. When people say "just wait until..." or when doctors talk to you about him rolling around and crawling I'm like "mm-hmm, whatever" because I can't even imagine that being possible. I can't even grasp the concept. Weird.

*
not interesting


So when you're used to a largely immobile baby who is in the exact same position in his bed as when you left him there and who seriously never moves around much, and you go in to see him like this in his bed, you might exclaim, "what the CRAP? Baby!" It's funny. ish.




Lastly, on Julian's list of his loves, including getting undressed (not necessarily being naked, just getting his clothes taken off. Maybe because i always do it with sound effects? Who wouldn't love that), is his hands. He loves staring at his hands, and he does it approximately 95 times a day. He just sits, staring intently, carefully examining. Sometimes he will turn his hand over to look at the other side. And then slowly back again. It is so funny & weird. Sean and I fight over whether he'll be an artist or a pianist. Just kidding, i want him to be an artist. Musicians are weird and ain't no one going to steal MY thunder. Anyway, here are a few i've snapped.









And that's the end of this incredibly lengthy post. Happy 6 months, Rexy! Yeah!

3 comments:

Anthony and Rene February 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

I love this post. I think you have pinned the tail on the donkey for alot of how I feel. I think it is so funny to see Saiji fling his arms around like a little gangsta and his has no idea what is going on. I can't wait for him to discover his hands!!! By the way Julian is the cutest little guy. I love his chubs,and can't wait for Saiji to get chubby....i just hope it happens.

Alanna February 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

I think my favorite pictures are of him dressed like he's homeless (WHERE did you get his outfit???) and wrapped in a towel. And I love that you argue about whether he'll be an artist or a musician. My son loved the sound of his own voice, so we figure either an actor or a politician-- but which one would be worse!?!?!

By the way, this was not boring at all. Keep 'em coming!

Natalie R. February 19, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

I love the title of the post - it's always good to quote Carly Simon. :0)

Has it really been six months??? That's totally crazy! He's sure growing up! Listening to Samuel talk to himself in his crib is still one of my favorite things. I always discover that he knows a ton of words/phrases I didn't even know he knew! It's pretty fun.